The Milwaukee Health Department has issued a warning against vaping. The warning comes after there have been several hospitalizations of individuals who were vaping and had contracted severe pneumonitis, also known as chemical pneumonia.
A number of counties have had confirmed cases, including: Kenosha, Portage, Racine, Walworth, Waukesha, Doge, Door, and Milwaukee. According to Fox 6 Now, the news release states that:
“At this time, the specifics of the products are unknown. Residents are again strongly encouraged to not utilize any THC products containing e-liquid.”
In addition, Commission of Health Dr. Jeanette Kowalik stated:
“We continue to learn more about the health effects associated with e-cigarettes. As the public health authority for the city, the MHD is committed to protecting the public from the dangers of secondhand exposure,” Commissioner of Health Dr. Jeanette Kowalik said.
The American Lung Association also shared with WISN 12 News:
“The American Lung Association echoes the Milwaukee Health Department’s warning today to e-cigarette users: ‘Stop using any vape and/or e-cigarette devices immediately. E-cigarettes contain toxic chemicals, heavy metals and fine particles, and the inhalation of these chemicals can cause irreversible lung damage and lung disease. The developing lungs of youth may be more at risk.”